Friday, June 13, 2008

Bike riding on a nice paved road

I don't know what the problem with blogger is, but I spent an hour typing my entry for today, clicked the 'publish post' button, and lost everything. It told me I needed to log in or some stupid thing. After logging in, I checked my drafts (since it's supposed to automatically save every few minutes) and this was all it had saved: Today we went for a bike ride on the nice paved roads of a new subdivision that's going in nearby. Talk about annoying. Now I have to try to remember what I'd typed and how I'd worded everything.

Anyway, today we went for a bike ride on the nice paved roads of a new subdivision that's going in nearby. There's a lot of rolling hills, but nothing too bad. There's not a lot of houses built yet, so there's not a lot of traffic. There was some construction traffic, but I think it was from the road paving that was going on today. I'll have to wait another week before trying to ride on the newly paved portions. If I try too soon, all the fumes and gases will burn my throat. I rode six and a half miles today, but it wouldn't be too hard to do more than that, which is good, since I really need to start doing some longer rides. It was nice to ride on some paved roads instead of bumpy dirt roads.

This morning as we were finishing up breakfast we heard quite the racket outside. I ran outside and saw six helicopters flying over our house. There were five single rotor and one double rotor (I don't know the names of the different helicopters). There's just something about the sound of military helicopters flying in formation. The 'thwack thwack' of each helicopter, overlaying the 'thwack thwack' of the helicopter next to it permeates the air so much more than a dainty civilian helicopter could. I don't know why it is, but it just gets me every time. When we were on our bike ride, we saw them again, though without the double rotor helicopter. They weren't so close, so they weren't as loud, and the effect wasn't quite the same. Though I think part of what gets me is how intimidating they can be: there's nothing quite like the sight of of 4 or 5 helicopters flying in formation, straight at you. I've experience it several times now, though never with myself as a target. If I find them intimidating when I'm not a target, I don't want to think about what it would be like if I was a target.

No comments:

Post a Comment