Friday, August 8, 2008

Drywall everywhere

Well, after a very less-than-efficient day yesterday, I managed to be quite efficient today. We went for an easy four mile bike ride (as easy as you can get out here), talked to DH, drywalled most of DD's room (I'm really glad it's a very small room, and I have only one short wall left, the one we have to do the electrical on first), went and picked up my packet for the triathlon tomorrow, and stopped at Home Depot on the way home to get the necessary electrical stuff.

I spent about 5 or 6 hours on the drywall, and did it all myself (cutting to size, putting in place, and screwing in place) except for one piece on the ceiling that was just a bit too big for me to hold in place and screw the screws in, so my younger brother helped on that one. By the time I was done, my dark blue pants were white from all the drywall dust, and I was soooo dirty and disgusting. I don't think a shower has felt so good in quite awhile.

I got the dreaded phone call from my SIL, requesting that I babysit her kids next Tuesday and Wednesday. I knew it was coming, but was hoping it wouldn't. She did mention that she tried some other people to see if they could watch them, but made some comments that came out as rather rude, though I don't think they were intended that way (She just doesn't think about things; this is the same SIL who brought her 5 month old baby on a sightseeing trip that used our house as a base, a month and a half after I miscarried. She never thought about the fact that it might be just a bit difficult for me to be around a baby at that point). Anyway, she was going to ask so-and-so, but she just wasn't sure how long it would be for, so she couldn't give them any definite times, etc, etc. Ok, so you feel bad about asking someone else because you don't know how long it'll be, but it's ok to ask me to do it? I realize I'm family and all, but come on, I do have a life, and just because I don't work outside the home doesn't mean I sit around, watching tv, eating bon-bons, and wondering 'gosh, when will I get to watch my SIL's kids again?'. I'm very blessed that I don't have to work right now, but I am still a busy person. And quite frankly, though I know I've said it before, I don't enjoy watching her kids, they're ornery little stinkers.

So, we'll have to see how quickly I can get DD's room done next week, working around all the babysitting. I know it'll slow me down, hopefully not too much though. At least I can bring my notebook and work on my book while I'm watching the kids. I've put my book on the back burner for the last week or two while I've been trying to get things done, so it'll be nice to work on it some more. I think what I've been doing subconsciously is trying to finish all my projects so I can just work on my book. Unfortunately, there will always be projects to work on, so that's not a good plan. While I was driving home tonight I was thinking about it, and decided that once I get DD's room finished (I'm working on it as much as I possibly can during the afternoons, which means DD has to play inside rather than outside), we'll start playing outside again, and I can bring my notebook and work on my book while she plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment