Monday, August 11, 2008

Doctor appointments with a toddler

This morning I got some blood drawn as part of the physical my doctor is doing. I took DD with me and she got rather concerned. She wasn't quite sure what was going on, but she was pretty sure it wasn't good. Of course, this is also the little girl who freaked out (on more than one occasion) when the nurse put a blood pressure cuff on me to take my blood pressure. She was convinced it was hurting me. In both cases I'm not sure why she would think I was being hurt, because I was very careful not to act like I was in pain (which I wasn't, but you can't be too careful). After the blood draw, we went downstairs and I breathed into a tube for ten minutes. This supposedly measures my metabolic rate or something. In any case, DD was worried about this as well, though I don't blame her on this one. I had this big blue plastic pincher thing on my nose so I wouldn't breathe through my nose, and this long plastic tube coming out of my mouth. Kinda scary looking.

After that, we rushed over to the dentist and DD got her teeth cleaned, which is why she went with me to the doctor in the first place. I try to avoid taking her to the doctor with me, if at all possible. I had a checkup a few weeks after my miscarriage last summer, and I had asked them if there was going to be any kind of exam. They said no, so I went ahead and brought DD with me. Of course, they did an exam, and DD freaked. This one is also understandable, because OB/GYN exams are just not fun, in any way, shape, or form. I had her sit on my chest as I laid on the table, but she was not happy about the whole thing. But I digress. Her teeth look good, but the dentist said that based on the crowding already occurring and her overbite, she will need braces. Yay. Something for all of us to look forward to in 10 years or so.

I've almost decided I need to stop reading other peoples' blogs. I like finding out what old friends are doing, but it can be painful, too. A lot of them have their husbands home, they have their own houses, and they're busy re-populating the earth. None of which is happening for me right now. I was looking at one friend's blog, and she just announced she's pregnant. I'm happy for her, but at the same time I'm sad/jealous/depressed/mad at my stupid body. I realize most of it is just a phase: DH will return, he'll get a real job, and we'll get a house. I don't know that we'll be able to get pregnant (and stay pregnant), and I have a hard time with that. I have no problem with adopting, I'm pretty sure we'll adopt at least one child, but I would really like to have a 'good' pregnancy. DD was a hard pregnancy and delivery, and it would be nice to have one that's not so bad. There's no guarantees that that would be the case (other than losing weight and being more physically active should help), but I keep holding out hope.

In addition to the scrapes I suffered Saturday morning, some lovely (and large) purple bruises have appeared on my legs and around my knees. I knew I was going to bruise, but I wasn't expecting quite so many...

No comments:

Post a Comment