Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Craigslist Furniture

As I've worked on making each room in our house look nice, I've realized something about our furniture. Most of it we found on craigslist, some we built ourselves, and only a few items were bought new.



the awesome vintage step stool I found on ebay. my grandmother had one just like it, only it was red.









LMS' room:
log bed: craigslist
lavender chair: craigslist, but reupholstered
nightstand: I built
sling bookshelf: I built

Guest room:
4 poster bed: craigslist
dresser: craigslist, then painted
chair: craigslist, still waiting to be reupholstered

Master bedroom:
log bed: we built about 9 years ago (in our apartment parking lot, much to the amazement of the other tenants)
dresser with hutch: craigslist
nightstand: Goodwill, then painted
bench: craigslist, originally a coffee table

Library:
built in bookshelves: I built
love seat: craigslist
cabinet: craigslist, then painted
piano: craigslist

Living room:
couch and love seat: purchased new
cupboard: craigslist, then put back together and painted
chair: last of a set of 5 that came with our scratch and dent dining set (sold the other 4 at our yard sale)

Kitchen: (not as many pics since this room is still a work in progress)
step stool (see pics above): ebay, still needs to be cleaned up
dining table: I built, but it will be going out to the shed to be used as a work table and I'm building another, slightly smaller table
settee: auction, still need to reupholster
two green chairs: bought new at World Market
shelf unit (no pictures yet because it's not quite done): I built

Basement: (pics coming soon)
couch: we bought new more than 7 years ago
sewing machine table: my parents bought it at a thrift store when I was a teenager so I could use it with the antique treadle sewing machine they also found for me
china cabinet: craigslist, then painted
work table: top was part of a scratch and dent dining set we bought about 10 years ago, storage bases I built
toy cupboard: I built

Once upon a time, I thought we could only afford cheap mdf furniture that doesn't last and falls apart after a couple moves. I never would have thought that we could have found so much of our furniture on craigslist. The fact that we paid way less than retail (which is way higher than it needs to be given the quality of a lot of items) and have some nice pieces is just icing on the cake. Building furniture to our specs when we can't find what we want has also been very gratifying (ana-white.com is my favorite source for furniture plans).

Do you buy new? used? build your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment