Thursday, July 11, 2013

Travel Trailer Wardrobe Update

In my quest to make all our closets more efficient, I almost neglected one: the wardrobe in our little travel trailer.

It's divided into two sections, which makes it hard to hang anything long from the top clothes rod and awkward to hang anything from the lower clothes rod.

Two years ago I put a plastic drawer unit in the lower portion, which worked pretty well, but wasted some space, since the plastic drawers weren't as deep as the wardrobe.

After a lot of thought, I decided to add some shelves and find bins to place on the shelves. That way the whole space could be used- the wardrobe is almost 2 feet deep, but only 13" wide, so it's a bit awkward to work with.

I removed the clothes rod, then tried building a 1"x2" frame to support each shelf, but the 1x2s took up too much space and the bins I'd found wouldn't fit. Since they were the only bins I'd been able to find that even remotely worked, I wasn't willing to ditch them.

Instead, I reverted to my usual answer for closet shelving: the metal shelf strips.

I bought one and cut it into four equal pieces, each 18" long, and installed them in the corners of the wardrobe. Because trailers/RVs are built to be as lightweight as possible I wasn't sure that the thin walls of the wardrobe would support the shelves adequately. After some close inspection, however, I noticed that the corners seemed to have a wood framework that I could attach the shelf strips to.

It was a tight fit getting the clips into the strips, but I did it. The shelves are pieces of 1/2" oak plywood that I didn't bother painting. I'm pretty sick of painting right now, so I doubt they'll ever get painted, and it's just not a big priority for me right now.

Everything fits just right!

We don't need the fourth row just yet, but that time is just a couple months off, so I went ahead and included it when I was doing my calculations.

I found the bins in the bathroom/closet organization section in Target. They're about 13" long, 6" wide, and 6" tall.  I found some plastic shoeboxes that are a smidge smaller (also at Target) to go behind them since there was about 10" of space behind the original bins. We could have left it binless, but it's more convenient to be able to pull a bin out and see what's in it, then to have to go digging around in the dark for the one item you can't quite locate, but know is there.

Yay for organization and being able to easily find what you're looking for!
I think the closets are all organized now. But the shed still needs to be tackled....

No comments:

Post a Comment