Monday, July 15, 2013

Travel Trailer Storage Organization

When I tackled the wardrobe in the trailer, I also did a bit of work in the storage area under the bed. It's a nice size space, but things tend to get shoved in, tangled up, and subsequently hard to find.
Above is a typical view of the storage area when it's not loaded for a trip. Messy and disorganized.

Here's a close-up of the right side of the storage area. There's a bit of a curve, but the folding chairs refuse to stay neatly in it. I have no idea why :)

I did a few things: The first was to cut a few pieces of wood and installed a frame that hangs from the overhead supports for the folding table to rest on. Previously it sat on top of the bins and slid around and got in the way of getting things out of the bins.

Here's the view from the driver's side of the trailer (the back of the storage area, in my mind). The two pieces of 1x2 keep the table from sliding out of the framework.

Here's the view from the passenger side (the front of the storage area). You can see one of the braces that the table rests on- there's another one further back- and a piece of 1x2 to keep the table from sliding forward out of the framework. It's not a perfect job since one of the supports split, despite the fact that I drilled pilot holes, but it works.

I adjusted an IKEA shopping bag to hold some long items (marshmallow roasting sticks, a griddle, etc), then installed some screws for the handles to hang from.

I installed two 1x2s that stretch from the floor to the framework above. These hold the long, skinny things that were always getting in the way: folding chairs, umbrella, etc.

And here's the storage area now: neatly organized (I switched out some larger, more awkward bins for smaller, easier to maneuver ones) and so much easier to find what we're looking for. 

And yes, I fully recognize that I have a problem. 
But life is so much easier when everything is organized :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice job! I love to have things organized but I lack the motivation to really get it done and to keep it that way...one of my many struggles in life! :)

    ReplyDelete