Thursday, July 18, 2013

Sewing with Little Miss Sunshine


The Little Miss has been asking me to teach her to sew for some time now. With all the painting I've been doing, though, I haven't been in sewing mode. The other day I sat down to shorten the straps of some tank tops (benefit to being short: long layering tanks still cover my pregnant tummy- yay!) and LMS asked if we could sew a blanket for Nanny. 

Rather than putting her off again, we sorted through my fabric and picked out a piece of lavender fleece and a piece of flannel.

We cut out two rectangles, then pinned them right sides together. LMS sat on my lap and we sewed almost all the way around all four edges. We left just enough of a space to turn it right side out, which we did after clipping the corners. Then we sewed around the edges, making sure to close the hole completely. 

We could have stopped there, but I wanted the fabric to stay in place. With only the edges sewn, there was a lot of potential for movement. So I sewed around a couple of the larger butterflies, then did a couple random swirls, almost like butterfly paths. LMS had lost interest in actually sewing at this point, so I was on my own :) She did say that "if we want it to be really pretty, we should add some pink." No surprise, since her favorite color is pink.

So I did the stitching in pink on the fleece side with white on the flannel side. The fleece is thick enough that you can't see the pink thread though.

I've got the blanket laying on a bit of a curve, which makes it look more wonky than it really is.

It's not perfect (I actually dislike sewing with stretchy fleece like this one because it's a massive pain to keep everything straight), but LMS is happy with how it turned out.

Nanny likes it too :)

 Next up: helping LMS sew some clothes for Nanny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment