Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Master Bath Reveal

 Here's the master bath in all it's apple/lime green glory before we bought the house.

The paint looks a little more muted in this picture, but believe me, that's not what it looks like in real life.

Hideous light fixture, massive boring mirror, boring vanity with no knobs or pulls (just like the hall bath).

I painted the ceiling (flat white), walls (the same blue gray I used in the master bedroom), vanity (white), and medicine cabinet (white). I switched out the light fixture for a much nicer one. Then I installed knobs and pulls on the drawers and doors. Seriously, a few pieces of hardware make such a difference! I also replaced the toilet paper holder, since this one was also like the one in the hall: constantly getting bumped into and knocked to the floor.

I also installed a row of hooks on the back of the door where a towel rod had been.

The most recent step (and actually one that's not quite finished) is framing the huge mirror. It's 5 feet long and about 3 feet tall and definitely needed something to make it more finished. 

However, for some unknown  reason, there's an outlet a few inches from the lower right edge of the mirror. There was a glass faceplate over it (scroll up a couple pictures and you'll see it), but I knew if I framed the mirror the faceplate would have to go.

After some thought and some measuring, I chose some 6" pine boards (the nicer, more expensive ones) and cut them to the sizes I needed. Anything narrower than 5" was going to run right through the outlet, so standard moulding was not an option here. After using my Kreg Jig to put the pieces together (more on that soon), I used my Dremel to cut the holes for the outlet. That took some patience, but I eventually got it right.

I need to paint the frame and then adhere it to the mirror, but for now it's wedged into place with a piece of scrap wood, and it already looks so much better.

we have a squatty potty in this bathroom also

It looks so much better than before. Unfortunately, we recently discovered a leak in our shower head that has affected the wall and will need to be taken care of. I have visions of this turning into our tearing out the shower stall (it's a one piece liner thing) and ripping out the affected areas before rebuilding it. If we do that, we'll probably tile the shower area and make it look nicer.

Needless to say, I've lost motivation to do much more until we find out just how bad (and expensive) the damage is.

Have you had to fix water damage in the bathroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment