Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Our ward Christmas activity

Our ward Christmas activity was last night. Early in the month and on a weeknight is a bit different, but we had a great turn out. Most of the families have kids who have to be there anyway, so it worked out well.

We had a 'Night in Bethlehem' theme- everyone brought a can or two of food to pay the 'tax'. Everyone was supposed to wear period clothing- so there were a lot of bathrobes and draped fabric. The kids were supposed to come dressed as angels. Mr. M and my brother (the biggest guys in the ward) were Roman centurions.

I made an angel dress for LMS for our ward Christmas activity- it was pretty quick and easy. I got a $4 twin flat sheet from wally world and folded it in half. Folded with the long sides together, the long sides formed the bottom hems on the front and back. It only ended up being a tiny bit too long- but the belt solved that problem. I laid LMS on top of the folded in half sheet and cut out the shape I wanted on one side. After she got up, I folded it in half again and cut the other side out so both sides matched (see below). Once it was cut out, I just sewed up both side seams and sleeves, hemmed the sleeves, and used some white binding I had left over from another project to bind the neckline.

I then used some felt and some gold fabric (both left over from her Sleeping Beauty crown) to make a belt. I sewed on some velcro I had leftover from another project so the belt can be easily taken on and off.Total cost: about $1.50

I only used about a third of the sheet, and will use the rest of it for a doctor jacket and a chef hat for her to dress up in.

At one point, LMS told me she needed wings.
"Angels don't have wings"
"Yes, they do. Angels need wings to fly."
"No they don't, angels fly without wings."
She showed me the angel from her Fisher Price Little People Nativity.
"See- she has wings."
How to answer that?
"Yes, but when you become an angel, you won't need wings to fly."
She wasn't convinced.

Luckily, she forgot about it and didn't bring it up again. Though she did try to convince me that angels don't wear shoes. Not sure wear she got that idea. Since it was quite cold outside, I managed to convince her to keep them on.

A bad picture of the kids up front during a song that everyone sang. It was dark in the room, so the quality isn't good, and everyone has evil eyes. LMS is standing next to one of her friends from nursery.
At the very end, Santa came to visit. LMS was quite excited. She's really getting into the whole Christmas thing this year- Santa, the lights, etc. I'm going to have her help me wrap the presents so we can talk about giving presents.

1 comment:

  1. Our little people nativity angel has a butterfly on her back!!

    ReplyDelete