Thursday, December 24, 2009

Second attempt at repurposing clothing

This time I turned a shirt of mine into a jumper for LMS. I love the color of the shirt, but the cut was awful- it hung like a bag on me.

I intended to make it into a dress, but I wasn't quite thinking far enough ahead when I cut it out, so there ended up not being enough fabric in the right places for a dress. Because of that, I used the sleeves for the front and back bodice sections, the majority of the lower portion of the shirt for the skirt, and pieces of the shirt near the neckline for the straps and the ruffle.

I put a bit of a gather in the skirt, which I pinned to the bodice and then sewed together. I then added the straps (simple tubes sewn, then turned right side out) and the ruffle (sewed a seam down the center of the strip, pulled the threads to gather the fabric in, then sewed it to the waistband). I didn't have to worry about a bottom hem because I used the original hem of the shirt. I also used the hemmed edges of the sleeves for the upper portions of bodice, so again, I didn't have to do any hemming.

T-shirting is a bit of a pain to work with, but overall I'm happy with how the jumper turned out, even if it wasn't how I first envisioned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment