Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My first re-purposed clothing attempt

Awhile ago I found several blogs that talked about re-purposing clothing. They turned adult pants into child pants, an adult shirt into a girl's dress, and so on. At the time, I thought 'interesting idea, but I don't see myself doing this since I don't have that many clothes (hence none to spare for other projects), we live too far from thrift stores to make thrifting on a regular basis an economical way of doing things, and LMS doesn't really need more clothes'.

Fast forward a bit, and I was sorting my clothes, making room for winter clothing, and I found a few things I thought might work for re-purposing. The first is a pair of ancient yoga pants that are all stretched out and baggy on me.

I used this tutorial to get started.

I used a pair of pink stretchy pants to make a pattern and cut out pieces for a pair of black pants for LMS. I used the original hem for the hem of the new pants, meaning I only needed to put a waistband in after sewing the legs.
I wasn't too worried about how they turned out: the original pants are well past their expiration date in their current form, so being able to use them for something else is just a bonus. I don't intend for LMS to wear them anywhere, they're for playing outside without ruining her nicer clothes.
Overall, I think they turned out well, and I feel confident in trying more projects as the materials present themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment