Monday, January 8, 2018

New Year's Day 5k

looking back at runners behind me as we run on a peaceful country road

I've run this race three times before (2016, 2015, 2013), but I didn't run it last year because New Year's Day was on a Sunday (I did this New Year's Eve Glow Run instead). This was my slowest finish on this course by far, but I was purposefully taking it easy and not pushing for a PR. It was also really cold (18* at the start and only slightly warmer at the finish) and I didn't want to risk making my lingering crud worse.

I do think I was slowed down a little by how I dressed. Because it was so cold I opted for my thick long sleeve fleece on top of a thin long sleeve fleece shirt and a long sleeve tech shirt. I ended up overheating a bit and taking the top fleece off, which left me left me vulnerable to the wind that picked up right about that time and cooled my sweat, making me chilled. If I'd worn a vest on top instead of the thick fleece I would not have gotten warm enough to sweat and then get chilled. Oh well. I'll try to remember that for next time.

3.08 miles in 38:11 = 12:24 pace. Slow, but hey, I'm still moving!
1st mile- 11:07
2nd mile- 11:58
3rd mile- 14:21

I like starting out the year with a race and logging some miles right off the bat :)

beautiful view!

Thursday I hit the treadmill to walk while I caught up on some blog posts --> multitasking for the win!

We usually hike on Thursdays, but I postponed it because it was cold (low 20s) and windy and Ocean's fighting some crud of his own and had me up at 4 am so I was too tired to get out in the cold and wind. I hate the wind.

I planned on hiking on Friday, but it was still very cold (teens and low 20s) and windy and I still didn't want to take Ocean out in it. Next week should be warmer (40s and 50s) so we'll double up so we don't get behind this early in the year.

Saturday I would have liked to go outside for a run, but it was still frigid, so I stayed inside. Instead I watched the Plexus Super Saturday Live stream while walking on the treadmill, then hopped on my bike to log a few miles for the week since I didn't manage any earlier in the week. Bike miles go so much quicker than treadmill miles.

meandering to the start line
we park in the field to the right and start on a gravel road. I love country races :)

Over the past month I've been thinking about my schedule and how to fit it all in, and one of the things I want to spend more time on is exercising. I've let that aspect slide too much lately and it's time to make my workouts more of a priority. I'm now working on getting on a consistent exercise schedule, which for now will look like this (though it will most likely change a bit over time):

Monday- bike (long)
Tuesday- rest
Wednesday- bike (short) + run with C if our schedules match up
Thursday- hike
Friday- walk (maybe run?)
Saturday- run (long)

For now it's a nice mix of running, walking, hiking, and biking, so hopefully I can build strength and endurance while also avoiding injury. The main issue, as always, is how to fit it in and still get everything else done that I need to do. I haven't yet found that optimal schedule, but I have hopes for this time around.

My goal is 14 miles on foot and 14 miles on the bike each week (more on that in my next post), but I need to work up to that since I've been doing about half that on foot and only gotten on my bike once a month for the last couple months.

Weekly Mileage
Mon- 3.08 miles run
Thurs- 4.40 miles walked on treadmill
Sat- 4.78 miles walked on the treadmill
Sat- 5.00 miles on the bike
     total miles- 17.26 miles
                       
0 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
12.26 foot miles towards #365milechallenge
5.00 bike miles towards #365milechallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment