Tuesday, January 5, 2016

2016 New Year's Day 5k

after the race. it was still overcast and breezy.

Friday I ran our local New Year's Day 5k. It's the only local race in January and it's a good way to start the year.

I have slacked off on my running and have been struggling with food issues for several months, so my weight is back up (boo!) and my endurance is down. I went into this race not expecting anything, definitely not a PR, though each of the two times I've ran this race in the past I have PR'd. Last year it was my fastest 5k time for the whole year and in 2013 I ran the fastest 5k I've run since high school.

Friday I ran 3.09 miles in 33:01, which makes it my fastest 5k in the last 3 years. Three years ago was the 2013 version of this race, which I ran in 29:36. Overall, this is the third fastest 5k since we moved here 6 years ago. The 2011 Halloween 5k is my second fastest 5k at 32:03.
1st mile - 9:58
2nd mile - 10:43
3rd mile - 11:34
I wasn't sure how I'd do since I walked a lot of miles last week, completing the Army Virtual Marathon, which left my legs fatigued. I didn't run many of the miles since I didn't want to risk injury. In the end, I didn't feel the fatigue as much as I feared I would. I could tell that I still need to work on my running endurance and I still haven't done enough hill work. Despite that, I was able to run most of the race and only walked about .25 miles.

 It was cold (mid-40's) and a bit windy, but I didn't notice the wind while running, so it must have been a cross-breeze and not too strong. Overall, the running conditions were pretty good.

With the slow-down of races in January I can focus more on training and preparing for races. There's at least 5 weeks before my next race, but I'm still not sure of my race schedule in February (Mr M's drill schedule is still up in the air as he transfers units), so I'm not sure which of the three races I'd like to do will actually happen. The over-achiever in me wants to do all of the, but we'll see what the reality is.

1st race of 2016:


Month
Event
Time
January
New Year’s Day 5k
33:01

11th race toward 40 by 40:



Date
Event
Distance
Event Type
1.
July
4th of July 5k
5k
Pregnant
2.
August
4 Mile Fun Run
4 miles
Road Race
3.
September
All Terrain
5k
Mixed surface
4.
October
Hill Valley Half
13.1 miles
Virtual half marathon
5.
October
Corn Maze 5k
5k
Corn Maze
6.
October
Kilted Trail 5k
5k
Kilted race
7.
November
Trail Half
13.6 miles
Trail Half
8.
November
Turkey Trot
5k
Road Race
9.
December
Veteran’s 5k
5k
Mixed surface
10.
December
Army Virtual Marathon
26.23 miles
Virtual marathon
11.
January
New Year’s Day 5k
5k
Road race

No comments:

Post a Comment