Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Miscellaneous Little Projects, part 1


Back before Christmas I worked on a couple quick projects. One was putting a curtain in front of the cupboard over the refrigerator. I built the cupboard years ago (it was just open space with no shelves when we bought the house), but haven't been able to find cupboard doors that would match our current cupboards, so I left it open. Well, that was an eyesore that I finally got tired enough of to do something about. The curtain is actually an IKEA pillowcase that was too big for any of our pillows, so it's been sitting in my stash. It was just the right size and all I had to do was unpick three of the four seams, remove the zipper, and hem the top and bottom. A tension rod in the top hem holds the curtain in place.


Such an easy fix that makes a huge difference. Now we need to caulk the crown molding and fix the door trim.

Another project was filling these planters. I built the planters a couple years ago, but have not been able to find plants that would thrive on the north facing, shaded porch. I saw some fake outdoor plants on a blog, so I decided to go that route. I found these on Amazon, and "planted" them in some dirt with some mulch on top. Up close, you won't mistake them for the real deal, but from a distance they look fine. And I don't have to worry about killing them, so that's a huge point in their  favor :)


This was a simple fix that makes the porch look much more finished.  

No comments:

Post a Comment