Thursday, January 25, 2018

Cold Weather, Illness, and Motivation


December snow

I got sick just before Thanksgiving, and while the worst of it is long gone, the lingering crud, well,  lingered, long past New Years. Add in some unseasonably cold weather and it has been a struggle to get outside for hikes or to just spend time outside at all.

I'd forgotten how much harder it is to get outside when I'm not feeling well and it's cold. My health has improved so much in recent years that it's easy to forget some of the things I struggled with in the past.

Honestly, I think the worst of it is that my health issues seem to coincide with the times we actually get snow. It snowed in December while I was sick and it snowed last Wednesday, right at the height of the flu I'm currently dealing with (though I'm on the mend now). I like snow, so it's discouraging not to be able to enjoy what little we do get.

I don't have such a hard time when it's warmer and I'm not feeling good, but it's definitely been a challenge with the colder weather we've had. Hence the reason we're three weeks into the new year and still no hikes.  I know this will change, but it's something I've been thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment