Monday, January 22, 2018

Weekly Mileage #46

ice along the edge of the river we walked over

As I mentioned last week, C and I are planning on running a 10 mile race at the end of March. Over that weekend I did some googling and found a 10 week 10 mile training planning. Coincidentally, there was exactly 10 weeks until the start of the race, which made it a perfect fit. I adjusted it a bit to fit my weekly schedule, but I think it should work well.

Unfortunately, our first run on Tuesday turned into a walk because I was feeling so crummy. It was bad enough that I wasn't sure I'd be able to do our Saturday am run, and I wanted to get some exercise in.

I felt reasonably well after our walk, but the next morning I felt truly awful. There's been enough scary stories on the news this winter that I opted for "better safe than sorry" and had Mr M take me to the doctor. The nasal swab (so uncomfortable!) tested positive for influenza A, so after dropping me back at home, Mr M spent the afternoon coordinating with the pediatrician to get Tamiflu prescriptions for the boys, and then going to four different pharmacies to track down five doses of Tamiflu. Apparently supplies are running low, which is not surprising. The doc suggested everyone take it to try to keep from getting sick.

It was too late for Mr M, though, as he woke up sick Thursday morning. The meds tempered his symptoms, so he hasn't been as sick as I was, though of course that's all relative- the flu is the flu.

Needless to say, while I started the week out right, there was no more exercising after Tuesday's walk. Friday I was feeling a bit better, so I spent some time vertical, but I was back in bed and feeling worse again after just a short time.

It snowed Wednesday, but that was the day I went to the doctor and I wasn't feeling up to doing anything. Though we only got an inch or so, so we couldn't have done much anyway. I had planned on tapping our maples on Thursday, but that sure didn't happen. This week's weather forecast is a bit too warm for optimal sap flow, so I'll have to keep a close eye to see if I can still get some sap. I'm really hoping I didn't miss out.

As I start to feel better, I can already tell that the trick will be not jumping the gun on what/how much I'm doing so I don't relapse and get sicker. I've been down this road too many times before, so I know what will happen if I do. On the other hand, I have so much to get done that I know it will be very tempting to push myself too hard, too soon.

Weekly Mileage
Mon- 10.00 miles on my bike
Tues- 2.28 miles walked with C
    total miles- 12.28

0 hikes towards #52hikechallenge
22.03 foot miles towards #365milechallenge
25.00 bike miles towards #365milechallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment