Monday, January 1, 2018

Weekly Mileage #44


Last week I had to order a new Garmin since my old one died Christmas Eve. I was trying to retrieve the info from our hikes, but the screen kept fading out and the outer touch sensitive ring wouldn't respond to my touch. I eventually got it to work long enough to retrieve my hike info, but that was it. It will no longer hold charge or turn on.

RIP trusty Garmin 405.

I've had it just over 6 years (I ordered it at the beginning of Dec, 2011) and it's recorded a lot of hikes and runs over the years.

As a replacement I bought a Garmin Forerunner 25, but I can already tell that I won't like it as well as my 405. The 25 can do things my older 405 couldn't, but it doesn't do some things the 405 did. I guess my main complaint is that it doesn't show elapsed time, distance covered, and pace for current mile all at the same time, which my 405 did. That's what I get for cheaping out and buying a less expensive fitness watch. But it fit my budget, so it'll do for now, even if it does bug me.


My new Garmin was supposed to arrive Thursday, so I briefly debated whether to hike using a phone app (I have Strava, but never use it) Thursday morning since I knew it wouldn't arrive in the morning, or wait until Friday to hike so I could break in the new Garmin.

18* temps Thursday morning and slightly warmer temps forecasted for Friday had no trouble persuading me to wait until Friday. We ended up waiting until after lunch to hike because it was a bit warmer then, but that was a mistake since it put us hiking during Ocean's nap time. He was not a happy hiker. We'll brave the cold in the future, rather than mess with nap time.


This was our 52nd hike in 2017, which averages out to 1 hike per week and means we hit our goal for the year. We went to our local trails park to see what the cold temperatures have done to the river, and we found some fantastic ice crystals.

The week before last I spent a bit of time totaling up my miles for the year and realized I was only about 5.5 miles away from 500 foot miles for the year. After the hike I still needed a few more miles, so Saturday night I spent some time on the treadmill, finishing out my mileage for the year. I also did a few miles on my bike to bring my total for the year to a nice round number. Yes, my OCD is showing a bit stronger lately (I realized this while pumping gas and aiming for an round number of gallons).

I'll be posting my totals for the year in a few days, so stay tuned for that.

Weekly mileage
Fri- 2.20 miles hiked
Sat- 3.43 miles walked
Sat- 2.13 miles biked
    total miles- 7.76 miles

52nd hike towards #52hikechallenge
520.3 miles towards #365milechallenge (20 of those were on my bike)

No comments:

Post a Comment