Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Running safely

Last night I was reading my January issue of Runner's World. There were several good articles in it, but the one I appreciated the most was called "Collision Course", and was all about running safely and avoiding getting hit by vehicles.

I was hit by a car 18 years while I was out for a quick run the evening before Thanksgiving and what was supposed to be my first 5 mile race. It wasn't dark when I started out, but by the time I was almost home, it was dusk, and visibility wasn't great. I was maybe 100 yards from our driveway, and I was running on the edge of the pavement, a foot or two to the left of the line, when a van with a mirror that jutted way out drove a little too close to the line. The end result was that we were too close to each other, and the mirror hit me in the shoulder. The van was speeding (60 or so in a 50 zone), but no bones were broken. My guardian angels were definitely looking out for me that night. I have a small scar where the skin was broken, but the major damage was the squished nerves that caused massive amounts of pain for several years. After pain pills, physical therapy, and an incredibly painful cortisol shot, we finally found some medication that interrupted the rogue pain signals (there was no reason for the pain, it was just messed up nerve signals).

Ever since, I've been paranoid about safety while running. Unfortunately, back then there wasn't very many options for high visibility. It took a couple years to find a windbreaker I thought was bright enough, and even then it wasn't as bright as the day-glo colors you can find today. And any reflective clothing (which I can't remember seeing) would have been quite expensive back then.

The article talked about reflective clothing, flashing lights (I do have a red flashing light I found a couple years after my accident), watching traffic patterns, and so on. When I was a college student, I remember driving home after dark on several occasions and seeing girls running by themselves, wearing dark clothing and headphones, and running in the street (not on the sidewalk)- talk about a death wish. If drivers can't see you when you're running, sooner or later you're going to get hit.

I thought that the article was a timely one that all runners and drivers should read. I really wish drivers were more aware and considerate, but since they're not, it's up to those of us who run or walk on the road to be properly prepared and aware of what's going on around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment