Sunday, December 20, 2009

Hair clippy storage

LMS has tons of clippies- way more than she needs, but I can't bring myself to get rid of any of them, since she does wear them. Just some more often than others. In any case, I was tired of the ribbons hanging on the wall- there just wasn't enough space for all the clippies. So I decided to make a board to clip them to. I'd seen similar things on other blogs and figured it wouldn't be too hard to do.

It was pretty easy- the hardest part was getting the frame to look right. I took a black frame I got at Target and spray painted it an almond color. I decided I didn't like the off white color, so I then spray painted it white. I used some sand paper and a sanding block to sand some of the paint off and give it an 'aged' look. Despite the tons of layers, I think it turned out pretty good: white on top, the off white showing below that, with black below that.
I used spray adhesive to adhere a piece of drop cloth (yep, there's still some left!) to the glass. I wanted to use cardboard, but couldn't find a piece big enough. I hot glued the edges of the fabric to the back, then wrapped the ribbon around it all. Once I got the placement where I wanted it, I hot glued the ribbons to the cloth on the back and the glass. For added security (I'm not sure how long hot glue on glass will hold), I put straight pins through the ends of the ribbons and the cloth.
I put the fabric and ribbon covered glass back in the frame, put the backing in, and put the clippies on the ribbon. Now we have plenty of room for LMS's clippies, and it should match her room when we finally move (it'll be white, purple and green- I've been collecting the bedding for a year or so now, and I think I've got most of the pieces now).

No comments:

Post a Comment