Saturday, December 19, 2009

Drop cloth stockings

I had some of the drop cloth fabric left, so I made stockings for us. We had a couple old knit ones for Mr. M and I, but LMS only had a tiny one that we bought for her first Christmas. This year, I decided it was time for new ones.

I used leftover fabric from the advent calendar for the stockings, and I used some of the yellow felt I bought for LMS's Princess Aurora crown. I also used yellow buttons I had sitting around from another project. So, I managed to make these stockings without spending a dime!

I dry stenciled names and used embroidery floss for accent stitching. I glued the stars and name pieces, then sewed them down, just like I did with the advent calendar. The stockings ended up matching the advent calendar, but I don't think that's a bad thing. They're also nice and big, with plenty of room for whatever we decide to put in them.

The only thing I would do different is to put a lining in- I forgot to do it till I was almost done, and at that point I wasn't going to take everything apart and start over. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I could make a liner, put it in the stocking, and just hand stitch it in place at the seam where the cuff joins the stocking. I have some lightweight cotton fabric I could use...

1 comment:

  1. Cute! I made stockings this year, too. What a hassle--they turned out cute, but I'm glad they're done! :)

    ReplyDelete