Thursday, January 22, 2009

Books I've read recently

In between my various projects, I've been doing some reading. One was 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard', by JK Rowling. It's supposedly a translation done by Hermione Granger, with commentary written by Albus Dumbledore, before he died. I enjoyed the book, and the proceeds from sales go to a good cause. Books that claim to written, translated, or abridged by someone else are always interesting. I think the best example is 'The Princess Bride'. The author claims that he's abridging someone else's story, and has lots to say about it: he's got his comments all over.



Another book I read is 'Silks' by Dick Francis and his son Felix. He writes mysteries that usually center around British horse racing (he was a jockey when he was younger), and has written quite a few books in the last 30 or so years that he's been writing. He's slowing down some (it's been quite a while since his last book came out) as he gets older, but I thought it was a good book.







I'm currently reading 'The Happiest Toddler on the Block' by Dr. Harvey Karp. I read his first book, 'The Happiest Baby on the Block', back when I was pregnant with Little Miss Sunshine, and found it very helpful. I bought this one a while ago, but never got around to reading it. LMS has been whining a lot lately and not communicating as well as she could be. I haven't finished it yet, so I'm not sure if he talks about whining so much as temper tantrums and how to deal with them. He does have really good advice on that aspect.




No comments:

Post a Comment