Thursday, July 25, 2013

My First Kreg Jig Project

We received a Kreg Jig for Christmas a year and a half ago, but I've never sat down and figured out how to use it. This isn't the first time this has happened: I did something similar with my Silhouette vinyl cutter (which turned out to be pretty easy to use).

Once I finally got around to working on finishing our master bathroom, I knew I'd have to figure out how to use it. As I showed yesterday, our bathroom mirror was huge and plain.

And it has an outlet in it.

Why couldn't they have scooted it over just a couple inches?

In preparation for this project, I watched a couple videos, including the instructional dvd included with the jig, and felt that I could probably figure it out.

As I mentioned yesterday, I made a frame out of 6" pine (the nicer boards because they have a better grain and finish and way fewer knots). After measuring and mitering all the corners I was ready to actually use the jig.

I drilled two holes per corner, though I may go back and add one more to each corner for added stability. As recommended, I used a clamp to hold the pieces in place- definitely a good thing to do.

It was raining outside (a frequent occurrence lately), so LMS helped me hold the pieces in place in the bathroom rather than going outside to do it. Such a good helper!

After putting the frame together, I started the laborious process of cutting and sanding the holes for the outlet. In the picture below, the frame isn't quite flush with the outlet, but once it's properly installed it'll be a tighter fit, though the outlet will still be recessed.

View from further away:

Since I haven't painted the frame yet, it's currently being held in place by the screw in the electrical outlet and by the piece of wood wedged between the mirror and the medicine cabinet. (whatever works, right?)

View from the bathroom door:

View from the shower in the corner:

I love how the frame turned out and am kicking myself for not figuring out the Jig earlier. It's not difficult to use and didn't take too long to figure out, and it makes projects go so much quicker and easier.

Have you used a Kreg Jig?

1 comment:

  1. Great Job. I found this because I am looking for my first Kreg Jig project.

    ReplyDelete