Wednesday, February 15, 2017

GAPS v.2017 Week 4 Intro

the crazy weather this winter has kept the maple sap from running, but our black walnuts are producing lots of sap

I've completed four weeks of GAPS Intro and I'm feeling pretty good. I'm still hanging out mostly in phase 1. I've tried adding egg yolks and they were problematic. I've tried a little plain yogurt, but that was also problematic. Avocado was fine, so I've added that in, but that's the only thing I've really added in.

In 4 weeks I've lost 11 pounds! It's so nice to see the scale ticking down instead of up, like it had been doing for the last year or so.

I've read the Whole 30 book and it talks about changing how you eat and your relationship with food. As I've thought about what I'm eating and why I'm still having food issues I've realized a few things.

1. Snacking doesn't work for me. Habit-wise, if I start eating a snack I have a hard time stopping. Despite that, I still like to have a little something in the evening after dinner. At this point, that means a spoonful of natural peanut butter or a couple apple chips. Peanut butter is a gray area- almond butter is allowed, but I prefer the flavor of peanut butter. I shouldn't really be eating the apple chips- I should be doing applesauce instead, as it's much more digestible. I'm trying to eliminate snacking altogether, but am being hindered by the next issue:

2. Increasing my mileage while doing GAPS makes it harder to not look for snacky foods. More running means more calories needed, which triggers the urge to eat more. Since I want to lose weight, I have to be even more careful with my eating.

3. Food temptations will be my downfall if I'm not careful. I'm getting better about staying away from things I shouldn't eat, but meal times can be tricky. It was too easy to eat some of the boys' grain free bread at lunch or dinner since I was hungry and it was there. I've realized that having grain free bread in the house for the boys was too much temptation for me. So I've switched the boys to gluten free bread since the gluten free bread is not a temptation for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment