Wednesday, February 1, 2017

GAPS v.2017 Week 2 Intro

River looking down at a stream on a recent hike

In preparing to start GAPS, I reviewed my GAPS books (Gut and Psychology Syndrome and GAPS Guide). The Intro phase is temporary, lasting from a week to 6 months or so, depending on how fast or slow you go through it. It's not meant to be long term. Full GAPS can last up to two years, but generally not longer.

Last time we took 6 weeks to get through the Intro phase and then took a break because we took a trip to Disney World. We did what we could while there, but didn't stress about eating non-GAPS food. When we returned, we moved to full GAPS, but it didn't last long because morning sickness hit me hard and I couldn't handle the smell of food. When you cook all your food from scratch there's lots of food smells.

This time I won't be getting pregnant 6 weeks in, so I've been contemplating how long I'll stay on full GAPS. Part of me is ok staying on it for two years. I can see the huge health benefits from doing so, but I'm not sure it's possible.

We have a long road trip planned for this summer, but we'll be in an RV, so I can make our food and stay on GAPS. However, we'll be eating communal meals at family reunions, some of which we will be preparing. I'm already the weird one who won't let anyone else's food near hers, now I get to take it even further? No, it's the prospect of giving up s'mores. I'm really not sure about that. And I'm running a half marathon on my birthday and another Labor Day weekend. Am I going to try to find GAPS friendly fueling options that also agree with me, or stick with my non-GAPS approved Shot Blox?

And what about when we go to China to adopt? We have to spend two weeks in country. I know with planning I can eat gluten free for two weeks, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do GAPS. That won't be for another year probably, but it's still in the near future.

I will probably stick to GAPS as much as possible, try to keep cheat foods as close to GAPS as possible, and not worry too much about it all. In all reality, last time I made massive progress just in six weeks, so anything more than that is a win. I should be able to stay on GAPS cheat-free for close to five months, which will be hugely beneficial to my body.

The two books I mentioned at the top of this post have recipes, but they're pretty basic. In recent years several GAPS-specific cookbooks have been published. This is great because they contain a wider variety of recipes along with personal anecdotes from those who wrote the cookbooks based on their experiences. I found The Heal Your Gut Cookbook to be particularly helpful. It would have been nice to have four years ago, but at least I've got it now.

In phase 2 of Intro I was supposed to add in egg yolks, which I did. But I reacted to them, which surprised me, so I had to stop eating them. This made me decide to take things nice and slow and not speed through the Intro phase of GAPS. So that's what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment