Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Halloween 5k Recap

Saturday we participated in the Halloween 5k that we've done the last few years (2013, 2012, 2011).

Last year I won best costume with my tree and owl baby carrier costume, and I wanted to defend my title. But how do you do better than a cute newborn baby?
last year's winning costume

You get the whole family involved!

Mr M went as Luke Skywalker carrying Yoda (River) on his back through the swamps of Dagoba; I dressed as a Jedi knight with Sunshine as my Padowan.

This is actually an idea I wanted to do last year, until reality set in. Halloween was just a few weeks after River was due, making a costume to fit post-pregnancy while still pregnant wasn't going to be an easy task, and the biggest problem: Mr M had to be out of town and couldn't do his part. After realizing all that, I decided to do it this year instead. I'd have time (and energy) to sew all the costumes, River would be big enough to ride on Mr M's back, and Mr M would (most likely) be in town.
good picture of Mr M, but River doesn't look too happy

not so good picture of Mr M, but super cute picture of River

We did indeed win the best costume award for the "Star Wars Family", and we received a Soda Stream. (I won a bluetooth speaker last year) Nothing like winning a prize to justify my OCD :)  Not sure how I'll top these costumes next year, though.

On to the run itself: the temperature was in the 40s, which turned out to be nice since I was sweating with all my layers. The kiddos stayed pretty warm, and even Mr M wasn't too cold since River was strapped to his back.
the course was out-and-back, so Mr M was able to take a pic of me running past him and the kiddos

When I made the costumes, I kept in mind that we would be running in them as well as trick-or-treating. In the end, the only thing that was different was the boots. I made fake boots/gaiters out of pleather to wear over our running shoes, but we'll wear actual boots for trick-or-treating.

Aside from being a bit warm, my costume worked pretty well while running, though there was a couple issues. The boot gaiters put a bit too much compression on my calves and made them pretty tight, especially on the hills. I knew that was a possibility (I've worn compression socks  in the past and they affected me the same way), but I hoped it wouldn't be an issue. It was manageable though. The biggest problem was the belt- it was constricting enough to keep me from breathing as freely as I'd like, but as the race went on I was able to compensate and it became less of an issue. I'm just used to loose, stretchy running outfits that don't impair my ability to breathe.

Sunshine walked most of the race, but did run parts of it

Despite the costume issues, which were actually fairly minor and didn't give me too many problems once I got warmed up, I was able to finish in 35:26. This is my second fastest 5k of the year, so I'm pretty pleased. There are a good number of hills on this course, like most races in this area, but I ran as much of the uphills as I could. I even managed to have a good sprint into the finish line and finished stronger than I have in awhile.
Mr M's brother has been visiting for the past week or so, and he ran the race with us. 
well, ahead of us :)

I've been super busy since the trail run two weeks ago, and this was the first time I've been able to run since then. Not optimal, but I felt pretty good. Undertraining seems to work for me, especially when I'm dealing with physical issues. My feet have been bothering me since the 15k trail run in August and really gave me some trouble during the half marathon. It's actually been a minor issue for a while, but didn't come to a head till these longer races. I've been to a podiatrist and we've added some padding to my orthotics to relieve the pressure on the base of my toes, and that's helped a lot. He also thinks I shouldn't be trying to land on my forefoot since that increases the wear and tear and pressure on the base of my toes. Since trying to land on my forefoot was something the PT told me to do, it's hard to know which way to go. However, since my feet have been bothering me for awhile, I am kind of inclined to think I need to listen to the podiatrist on this one.

The Star Wars Family

I'll be posting costume details on Thursday and Friday. Did you catch my lightsaber post yesterday?
Luke and Yoda (baby carrier costume)
Jedi and Padowan
More pictures

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halloween 5k:                        35:26         ran in costume
October 5k Trail:                  38:05         second trail run
September half:                    2:51:01      first half marathon since getting pregnant
August 8.5 miles:                  2:06:58      first trail run
August 2 mile:                     ~40 min?    Mud Run with Sunshine
2nd July 5k:                         35:27
4th of July 5k:                      34:15
June 5k:                                38:11          Ran with jogger
May 5k:                                39:23          Ran with jogger
April 5k:                               37:40          Color Run
March 5k:                            37:33  
February 4.5 miles:            1:49:55        Mud Run
January:                              ---

No comments:

Post a Comment