Wednesday, January 8, 2014

New Year's Day 5k

….didn't happen this year, for a couple reasons.

My orthotics died a month or so ago and I've been fighting the onset of a cold since just after Christmas.
my worn-out orthotics- cracking and falling apart, and no longer supportive

In November my orthotics decided to give up the ghost completely. I should have replaced them last winter but I kept putting it off and by the time I remembered again I was pregnant. I didn't want to replace them while I was pregnant since body mechanics are different then and it would affect how the orthotics were made. Once the baby was born my body mechanics would change again and my orthotics would no longer be quite right and I'd need to replace them again. They're pricey enough that I didn't want to do that, so I decided to wait till after TLM was born to replace them.

The problem with that plan was that my feet started hurting like they did before I got these orthotics a couple years ago and I realized that I'd waited too long to replace them. While I waited for an appointment and then the replacement orthotics, I had to stop running since continuing could really screw up my body mechanics and trigger another cycle of injuries. I don't have time for another round of physical therapy and I need to be able to exercise so I can get in shape, lose weight, and stay sane.

So even though I really wanted to be spending a lot more time on the treadmill so I can start losing weight again, I decided not to ruin my running plans for the upcoming year and to just be patient. Patience is not my fort`e, but I'm working on it.

my new orthotics- from the same company, but the different surface is supposed to hold up better than the smooth surface of the old style

I got my new orthotics just before Christmas and they feel so much better!

yep, the new ones are way better

Unfortunately, I've been feeling off since a couple days after Christmas- like a cold is coming on, only it hasn't progressed into anything horrible. It's just hanging around making me feel just icky enough to not want to do everything on my to-do list. I didn't think I'd do as well as I did last year, but it would have been a good start to the year.

While I'm disappointed I wasn't able to do the New Year's Day 5k, sometimes things just don't go as you planned, and you just have to go with the flow and not do things that could cause injuries and mess up long-term plans. At least now there's one less thing holding me back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment