Monday, March 24, 2014

March 5k

one of the hills we ran up

Saturday I ran my March 5k (I'm trying to run a race every month this year). This was a small race that I've never run before, but proved to be a good race.

The race was a fundraiser held at a local historical property. There was only about 125 runners, and I managed not to finish last. I'm not in shape, so that's still a concern :) The course description called it a "challenging course" so it wasn't a surprise that there was a lot of hills. I haven't done a lot of hill work lately, but the brief hill work I did last Tuesday with TLM helped me be a bit more prepared than I would otherwise have been.

The course was a mix of paved roads and gravel roads that criss-cross the historical property, taking us on a tour of it. There was a lot of uneven surfaces as we moved from gravel to pavement to patched pavement and back to gravel. It was a nice change of pace from the usual paved roads that 5ks are run on.

I finished running and walking the 5k in 37:33. Not my best finish, but not my worst, either. The race ended on a hill, which is always brutal. I managed to chug/shuffle/gasp my way past another lady half a second (literally- the numbers don't lie) before the finish line. Yay me!

Despite the hills, or maybe because of them, it's a challenging course that can help me prepare for future races, so I think I'll add it to my line-up for next year.

------------------

Physically I felt better than the mud run last month. I am still tired and out of shape, but my legs didn't feel like lead this time (I have a theory about that that I'll come back to). My lung capacity felt on the low side, probably from a lack of good workouts recently combined with two snug bras that made breathing a little more difficult than I'd like. While I can get in better shape, I can't ditch the bras- I gotta keep the girls firmly in place and the compression helps a bit when I go longer than usual between feedings for TLM, since I've left him at home with Mr M the last two races.

Back to how I felt/my energy level: my theory is that it improved because of my vitamins. About two months ago I stopped taking them (I got lazy and never refilled the pillboxes), but last week I started taking them again and within a day my energy levels were improving. Considering I haven't been feeling great lately, the boost in energy has been very welcome.

On the one hand, it's a bit discouraging that I'm dependent on supplements (I have to take 5 or 6 morning and evening) for my body to function as it should. On the other hand, it could be worse: at least I'm not dependent on medication. This has been a good reminder that I can't ignore my body and expect it to work properly. You'd think I'd know this by now, but despite the years of experience, I still forget/get lazy/rebel against the constant vigilance needed to stay healthy. It can be exhausting trying to stay on top of everything, but letting things slide leaves me feeling even worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment