Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Bob Comes Out of Hibernation

he thinks he's getting out of the jogger, but we'd just stopped for pictures

I walked/ran 2-3 times week with LMS in the jogger (aka Bob) starting when she was about 4 months old till she was almost 5, and she never complained about being in it- it was just a fact of life.  While our use tapered off as she got older, I did push her in it as recently as a year and a half ago in a Turkey Trot 5k.

Awhile ago I realized I needed to start running with TLM in the jogging stroller. Of course, I realized this when it was cold and icy and snowy, so it wasn't going to happen right then. TLM is now 5 months old, so it's time to get him used to being in the jogger. I don't think I'll manage the frequency I did with LMS because of living in completely different neighborhoods, but I can still get out at least once a week with him.

In fact, a couple weeks ago I realized that I could be utilizing the trails in town while LMS is at her Irish class. I don't travel to workout (that sucks up too much of my time), but if I'm already there, I'll take advantage of it. This won't work during the winter when it gets dark so early, but with spring moving in and daylight hanging around later and later, it's now doable. If it's not snowing like it was last week.

Yesterday was gorgeous, with temps in the mid-high 70s, so I finally got the chance to take TLM and Bob out for a bit.

But first, I had to clean up Bob. He's always been kept indoors (the house, the old shed, or the new shed), but the few months he spent inside the old shed weren't kind to him. The fabric of the old shed trapped moisture inside and Bob and the bike trailer both ended up with some mildew spots. Grrrr!

We found Bob on craigslist back when LMS was about 2 or 3 months old (my first big score on craigslist- they were given two joggers (!) and were practically giving one away). He's served us well over the years and still has plenty of life in him, so I didn't want to let a little mildew make him look grungy.

After googling around a bit, I decided to try two cleaning methods: white vinegar and borax. I use white vinegar for cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms, so I know it's an effective cleaner. I sprayed Bob down with vinegar and let it sit overnight. It helped a little, but not as much as I'd hoped, so I tried borax diluted in hot water next. I dipped a scrub brush in the mixture and then scrubbed all the fabric parts. I put a bit more on the spots that were stained, then let it all dry overnight. Mostly because I ran out of time that night :)


The next day I hosed Bob off, using the scrub brush to make sure there wasn't any residue left anywhere. After letting him dry in the sun, he was ready to go.

My thoughts on the mildew cleaning abilities of white vinegar and borax:
I don't think the vinegar had much of an effect, and while the borax helped, it didn't completely get rid of the stains. Between the two, the fabric did come out looking cleaner and brighter, and the mildew stains aren't as noticeable, though the black stains are still there if you know where to look. Avoiding the mildew is the better way to go :)


After dropping LMS off at her class, we parked at the park across the street and hit the trails. I've never been on these trails, so it was a bit of a surprise to see how steep some of them were. Bob handled the rough dirt trails and exposed tree roots admirably, though TLM wasn't sure he liked the bumpiness. Other than that, TLM did fine during the 25 minutes he spent sitting in Bob.

looking at all the tree roots on the uphill trail

While it was a tough run {hills + pushing a heavy jogger with a baby in it + being out of shape = a tired and sore body}, it felt so good to be running (and walking) outside again. I've been struggling with my health/food lately and my treadmill time has been decreasing right along with my energy levels.

it wasn't all dirt and tree roots, there were some paved portions as well

It was the shot in the arm that I needed to get back on the wagon, er, trail, and find creative ways to get outside and run. LMS can't keep up with me, but is too big to ride in a jogger, so I have to do my runs when she's at a class or playdate. I think I can make this work!

No comments:

Post a Comment