Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Whiteboard Family Calendar

Several years ago I made this to store all of LMS' clippies:

Unfortunately, it proved to be a pain keeping them on the ribbons (it was easier to just toss them on/in the sink), so I put it in a closet, where it sat, all alone, looking like this:

I've been meaning to make a whiteboard calendar for months, and this weekend I finally did it.
I removed the drop cloth and ribbon-covered glass, spray painted the frame (16"x20"), and cut a piece of shower board to size. I'd heard it can be used as a whiteboard, and so far it's working well. I'm curious to see how it holds up to colored dry erase markers.

After cutting the shower board and putting it in the frame, I cut 1/4" strips of black vinyl with my quilting ruler and rotary cutter. It was a pain, but it worked out in the long run. After some trial and error and shifting vinyl strips back and forth a bit, I finally got the squares as even as I could.

The last step was to cut out the days of the week and affix them to the calendar.

I put the week day names over the top line to leave space to write the name of the month, but I kind of like the look.

Yeah, I have crappy handwriting and can't draw a four leaf clover if my life depended on it. But now we can see at a glance who's got what, when.

Now I just have to decide where to put it. There's a couple spaces that I need to try out and see which I like the best.

We had a similar calendar awhile ago, but it was too small and got lost/thrown out/not sure where it went when I painted the kitchen. I've really been missing the at-a-glance convenience and am glad to have it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment