Friday, March 7, 2014

Mommy-Daughter Dates

Did you ever go on dates with one of your parents when you were little? I remember doing it a couple times, but the most vivid was a daddy-daughter date on my birthday (6th, I think). We got ice cream and then he bought me a carnation- my first flower!

Mr M and I instituted daddy-daughter dates after Mr M's first deployment. There's no schedule- they just happen when there's time, and they do a variety of activities, depending on time available and interest.

We never did mommy-daughter dates, because let's face it, between LMS being homeschooled and an only child, she and I spend A LOT of time together. Hanging out at home, routine grocery runs/errands, as well as more fun trips to the park, the children's museum, the lake, etc.

Then TLM was born.

LMS still goes everywhere with me, but she no longer has that one-on-one attention she used to have because TLM is around. She still has daddy-daughter dates with Mr M, but I realized awhile ago that she and I needed some time together without the little guy.

She loves him and doesn't resent him for taking all of mommy's snuggles (in her mind- in reality she still gets lots of hugs and kisses), but I could tell she's been missing the old dynamic. Not surprising since we had almost 7 1/2 years before she had to share her parents with anyone else.

After being postponed a couple times because of the weather, LMS and I finally managed to head out of the house sans any male members of the family. It was a weeknight so we weren't able to do the types of things LMS had in mind (those will happen on later outings), but we still had fun.

drawing pictures while we wait for our food

We started out with dinner at 5 Guys, then headed to JoAnn's to look at dress patterns.

I'm 95% sure I'm going to cut up my wedding dress and use part of it to make a dress for LMS to wear after she gets baptized, and since that date is rapidly approaching, I need to figure out how I'm going to make it happen. Has anyone else done this? Did it turn out? Do you regret cutting up your wedding dress? 

Our next stop was a local chocolate store and then Barnes and Nobles to browse the aisles.

We met a friend and her son (a little older than LMS) doing the same thing- going on a date while the baby (her daughter is a couple months older than TLM) stays home with daddy. Quite random, but interesting that we'd both seen the need for one-on-one time with our older kiddo.

LMS is already planning our next mommy-daughter date and has requested an all-day event. Unfortunately for her, that's not going to happen as long as I'm nursing TLM. When I explained the problem, she thought bringing the breast pump would solve the problem. Kind of, yeah. But there's storage, and clean up, and privacy, and…..

We'll see what we come up with.

Do you go on dates with your children?

2 comments:

  1. We're working on it. I'm hoping that as soon as things settle back into some sort of routine we'll get serious about it. I have great memories of going on dates with my dad to the mall and getting a soft pretzel. I also remember him often buying us potted violets as a surprise.
    As for the wedding dress/baptism dress...Carol (Xenia ward) made a blessing dress out of hers and it turned out amazing. As far as I know she has no regrets. You might talk to her about it. :)
    http://woodstockclan.blogspot.com/2009/12/blessing.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw her post awhile ago- I think that's where I got the idea from originally. Since it's way too late for a blessing dress, I thought a baptismal dress would be good. There's a part of me (very small, but still there) that thinks "maybe LMS can wear it when she gets married". Which is silly, since LMS has a longer torso than me and will most likely be taller, so the dress that was altered to fit me won't fit her. I just need to be decisive about it :) Unfortunately, I haven't been feeling super well (food issues), and among other symptoms, indecisiveness and feelings of being overwhelmed have re-surfaced- they always do when I'm having food issues.

      On a different note, could you please send me an email if this goes to your inbox? I'm curious as to what happens when I reply to someone's comment. Thanks!

      Delete