Tuesday, October 14, 2014

First Birthday and First Haircut

I mentioned last week that River had his birthday. When Sunshine turned one, I made a cupcake for her and I was going to make one for River, but Mr M wanted to make a pumpkin cheesecake, so we used an individual size springform pan for his cheesecake. Since he's grain free, there was no crust on the bottom.


He didn't know what to do about the candles, and was pretty tired by the time we got to the singing and cheesecake. He did enjoy most of the cheesecake, but then he was done:
classic birthday meltdown

I cleaned him up and put him to bed and he went right to sleep. It's exhausting turning one year old.

The day after his birthday, Mr M and I sat River down and gave him his first haircut. He's been getting shaggier and shaggier, so it was high time we did it.

Sunshine helped distract him with raisins, Mr M held him still, and I ran the clippers and scissors. Clippers are not meant for baby fine hair, so it took a little longer than I wanted (and River had patience for) and I only used them on the back and sides. I used scissors for the top. As I cut the hair in front, his cowlick became so much more prominent. For months it's been overpowered by his long hair, and eliminating the length allowed the cowlick to exert its influence again.

a pile of hair later:

solemn baby- he was almost ready for a nap

Another look- what a difference a day makes:

We went from baby to little boy in the space of half an hour. I knew it would happen, which is why we waited this long to cut his hair, but it was still a bit of a shock to see the difference.

in the first pic he's just a day or two old, but you can see the cowlick already 

Such a sweetie. It's sad to see him leaving babyhood behind but exciting to see him learning and growing. He's in the stage where he's constantly learning new things and it's so fun to see him progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment