Wednesday, June 11, 2014

June 5k Results

Saturday I ran my June race.

This is the 3rd year I've run this race, which benefits a great cause: all proceeds go to the Wounded Warrior Project.

In 2012 I finished in 39:23, pushing the Little Miss in the jogger.
Last year, in 2013,  I finished in 40:02, while pregnant with The Little Mister.
This year I finished in 38:11 while pushing TLM in the jogger. Somehow I managed to finish the race almost 2 minutes faster than last year, which is very encouraging since my training to this point has been pretty minimal and my energy levels are still not up to snuff.

It was a great day for running. It was cool, but not too cold, at the start, though it did warm up as the race progressed and we moved away from the shade. Even then, it wasn't as hot and muggy as it's been in the past.

This is a challenging course. You're either going up a hill or down a hill- there's really no flat parts. At least none of the hills are super steep, but they are long enough to make you tired and winded, especially when pushing a kiddo in a jogger. Though TLM weighs significantly less than LMS, so at least there's that :)

A week and a half before the race I managed to spend some time on the treadmill doing hills and running hard, so I think that helped on Saturday. That's the only reason I can think of to explain why I was more than a minute faster than my May race, which had fewer hills and more flat spots.

I'm still not training as much as I should, but I'm gradually getting there. With the half marathon rapidly approaching I think I'll be adding extra races in July and August. In July I'm planning on a Fourth of July 5k plus another 5k a couple weeks later. I'd like to do a 15k trail run in August, but I'll have to see how I feel and how much running I'm able to do in the next few weeks. If I'm not feeling up to the 15k, I'll back off and do the 7k option, but for the sake of training I need to do the 15k. At the end of August I'll do the 4 Mile race I've done the last four years.

TLM hung out in the jogger. He stayed awake all through the race again (just like during the May race), finally falling asleep right at the end.

LMS ran the kids race again. She doesn't yet love running, but I keep hoping :)



2014 Race Results:
June 5k: 38:11           Ran with jogger
May 5k: 39:23          Ran with jogger
April 5k: 37:40         Color Run
March 5k: 37:33  
February 4.5 miles: 1:49:55  Mud Run
January: ---

No comments:

Post a Comment