Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Fourth of July 5k

the ubiquitous port-a-potty line
I didn't run with my phone, so this is the only pic I have

Friday I ran my July race. It was my first time running this course, and I kind of like it. Last summer we were out of town, and I missed it the year before that because they don't allow jogging strollers. With Mr M home, I was able to leave the kiddos with him while I ran the race.

I ran the race in 34:15, which is a lot faster than I anticipated, though at the beginning they said this tends to be the fastest race of the year that they organize. The course is hilly, but not as hilly as I thought/was afraid it would be. We used to live in the neighborhood the course runs through and I ran the trails and knew what it could have been. It was hot and muggy, but it could have been worse. If we'd started a half hour earlier, before the sun rose above the trees, I think the weather would have been perfect.

I started out a bit faster than I should have, so while my first two miles were at a pretty good pace, I pooped out during the third mile. I felt strong the first two miles, but just don't have the endurance yet to keep it up. Still, I'm making good progress with my speed and endurance, so no real complaints. 1st mile- 10:16, 2nd mile 10:55, 3rd mile 12:21, with an average pace of 11:09.

My 5k PR is from January 2013- the New Year's Day 5k that I ran in 29:36. 34:15 is closer to that than any other race I've run since. My goal is to get my 5k time below 30 minutes and keep it there, and I'm slowly getting closer to that point.

July 5k:  34:15
June 5k: 38:11          Ran with jogger
May 5k: 39:23          Ran with jogger
April 5k: 37:40         Color Run
March 5k: 37:33  
February 4.5 miles: 1:49:55  Mud Run
January: ---

No comments:

Post a Comment