Monday, July 14, 2014

Finished Art Frame

Remember how I was on a building blitz back before River was born? I built several pieces of furniture, but didn't paint or stain them. I'm finally finishing those projects.

After painting the shoe bin doors, I did the finish work on the art frame that I constructed last year. They're both in the kitchen, which has enough issues without my half-finished projects added in. I still haven't finished the kitchen (I pooped out last summer), though I am building up steam and finally feeling motivated again to work on it.
note the rough corners with visible gaps

I sanded, puttied, and caulked the corners to smooth out the imperfections and give it a clean look. Then I touched up the paint (white chalk paint) and followed it with a coat of wax.
crappy nighttime lighting

It looked much better at that point, but I thought it needed a little something more. So I dug through my washi tape stash and found a pretty turquoise patterned roll. I stuck long pieces of that tape on the raised portion of the frame. Instead of trying to make the corners all nice and neat, I left the ends a little long so they hang over the edges.

I like how it turned out. And if I get bored of the tape, or it doesn't match the paint once I re-paint the walls since yellow walls make white cabinets look dingy :(  it'll be easy to switch the tape.

Now it's time to fill it up again with artwork :)

No comments:

Post a Comment