Monday, July 7, 2014

Shoe Bin, Part 2

Remember how I was on a building blitz back before River was born? I built several pieces of furniture, but didn't paint or stain them. I'm finally finishing those projects.

First up: painting the doors of the shoe bin.

I removed the handles and taped off the hinges. Next I primed the insides and outsides of the doors, then painted two coats of Annie Sloan Pure White chalk paint. I sanded in between coats of chalk paint to smooth out any imperfections. After allowing the paint to dry, I waxed the entire cabinet, then put the handles back on.

So much better!
                                 

Here's a collage showing the evolution of this shelf. When I originally built it, I planned on putting drawers in the bottom two rows of shelves, but we needed the shelf space so we started using it before I got the drawers finished. Then I built the homeschool cupboard and we moved the all the books to it, which allowed me to rearrange the shelves. I was inspired by my blanket cubby in the basement and made pull-down doors instead of drawers for the shoe cubbies.


Painting the doors makes such a difference- it finally looks like a finished piece of furniture. Though I need to work on  the "styling" on top. There's a little too much open space (which attracts clutter), but I don't want too many things up there either. There's a fine line between decorated and cluttered :)

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I need one of these in a bad way. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete