Monday, September 9, 2013

Library Side Table


As I mentioned previously, I've been frantically working on several furniture projects (side table and sofa table), and I have another one to share. We had a false alarm a few days ago, so I'm even more motivated to get all the projects finished before the baby comes. It's going to be neck and neck!

We had a love seat in the library for awhile, but about a month ago we took it to my sister. I've been searching craigslist for a reclining wingback chair (NOT a La-Z-Boy style chair), but haven't found one yet. In the meantime, we have this antique settee in it's place. It won't stay because it's just not as comfy as we'd like for kicking back and reading a book.

Whatever we sit in when relaxing in the library, we need a table to hold a lamp, a water bottle, etc.
I also wanted to have space to put library books in between trips to the library, instead of the basket sitting on the floor. I planned on combining this plan and this plan from ana-white.com, but ultimately decided to just follow the plans as written- it would be quicker and easier, and I thought of another place to store the library books (more on that in another post).

This project came together pretty quickly. I cut the wood, drilled the pocket holes with my Kreg jig, and put it all together Saturday afternoon. Like my other projects, it won't be stained or painted till later.

I followed the instructions and built my own table top. The Kreg jig made it possible! Seriously, such a great tool!

After gluing and screwing the wood pieces together, I used a string to trace a 24" circle, then cut it out with my jig saw.

I didn't take pictures of the rest of the process, but it was just a matter of putting all the pieces together.

All finished!


It fits quite nicely in the library, and is the perfect spot for the reading lamp I found at Target awhile ago (isn't that a great shape for a lamp?).


Now I'm off to work on a coffee table/LEGO habitat (LMS's words) for the living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment