Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Film Canister First Aid Kit Neckerchief Slide


Two of the things we talked about recently in Cub Scouts was first aid for wounds and first aid kits. As we planned things out before that, I remembered the film canister first aid kit my older brother made in Cub Scouts and realized it would go along great with the other first aid stuff.

I googled around and found some examples, but didn't bookmark them- they were pretty much exactly what I remembered.

Back in the day, empty film canisters were everywhere and you could get them from stores that developed photos for nothing. These days, it's impossible to find them at stores (I checked), so I ended up buying some on ebay, though I also found some on etsy. They weren't super expensive, but I did have to make sure I ordered them in time for them to arrive before we wanted to use them.


I drilled two small holes in each canister, cut a red cross out of cardstock with my Silhouette, cut a pipe cleaner in thirds, and put it all together. If I'd had red vinyl, the red cross would have been even easier to do, but since I didn't, I stuck the paper cross on with clear packing tape. Then I threaded the pipe cleaner through the holes, made a loop, and wrapped the ends around the loop to hold them in place.


I had a bunch of first aid supplies sitting around, not being used (LMS prefers Princess or Tinker Bell band aids), so I went through my stash and assembled little kits for the boys to put in their first aid kits. 
2 larger bandaids
3 smaller bandaids
1 butterfly bandage
2 alcohol pads
packet of ointment
piece of card stock 


We folded everything up and it all fit quite nicely. I remember my brother having a dime(!) for a phone call in his kit, but since it's so hard to even find a pay phone these days, I went with a piece of card stock that the boys could write important phone numbers on.


I don't think the boys realized just how cool these are, but all the adults were reminiscing about them :)

1 comment:

  1. Next time you can use the canisters from Natalia's test strips. They are basically the same thing. Only the lids have a tiny plastic hinge, so you don't lose it in the 50 times you open it. While not as retro cool, they would be free!

    ReplyDelete