Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sofa Table Kreg Jig Project

I won't say I'm in the nesting stage yet, but I am definitely in the "I need to get certain projects finished quick before the baby's born and who knows when I'll have time to actually finish them" stage. Which means I have several pieces of furniture I'm building right now. I'm not worrying about painting or staining them just yet, since that will be fairly easy to do later, but I want to get the noisy parts done. I really don't want to interrupt nap time with the air compressor or mitre saw- especially when the little guy is still tiny.

The first piece I finished is a table that goes behind our new couch. You can't actually see it that well, but it helps fill in space in a long, narrowish room and makes the room feel a little more square. And I finally have a place to put the pair of lamps I found at TJMaxx 4 or 5 months ago. The only other light in the room is the one on the ceiling fan and it's nice to finally have another option.

I folded up the throw blankets and have them on the shelves for now. I had the worst time getting good lighting for these pics, so they didn't turn out the best.

You can actually see the lamps now!

Looking down at the couch and table.

I found the plans for the Rustic X Console Table on Ana-White.com and only tweaked it a little. I didn't do the Xs on the ends because I wanted the ends to be open since that's the side that would show, and I didn't add the extra hardware details since I wanted it to look a little more polished and a little less rustic. And instead of planking the top I used a piece of 3/4" oak plywood for a nicer look.

I also only had the middle shelf extend half way down the table so that it would be open on the other half of the table. I'll show you why in a minute.

The plans were pretty easy to follow, and using the Kreg Jig really made the whole process quick and easy. After cutting all my pieces to size I drilled all the holes using the jig, then broke out the wood glue and screwed all the pieces together. I trimmed out the plywood top with screen trim, and it was done!


I love how it turned out, and it makes that end of the room look so much more finished, even if the table isn't actually finished. I'm waffling between light to medium gray or a pop of blue gray on the legs, and deciding whether to paint or stain the top.

And that open spot? Remember the extra cushion for the couch? Now it's nicely hidden away, yet easy to reach.



We still need to hang curtains- I have the curtains and the rods, but just haven't quite managed to have the time and energy that coincided with Mr M being home to help (it's not a one-person job since we need to figure out how high/low/etc the rods will be). Once we get the curtains up I'll also have to rearrange the stuff that's hanging on the walls.



I have 4 or 5 more pieces of furniture to finish, with 2 of them currently in the works. Hopefully I can continue to make good progress :)

No comments:

Post a Comment