Friday, August 9, 2013

Re-Upholstered Chair

Earlier in the summer my friend A asked me to help her with a re-upholstery project. Her mom had found a chair at a thrift store and some fabric and given them to A, but A had never re-upholstered a chair before.

This week things were a lot more calmer than usual- Mr M was doing National Guard stuff, LMS had Irish day camp, and I actually had free time during the day. So A and I spent Monday and Tuesday working on the chair. We didn't quite get it finished Tuesday, but were able to finish up Wednesday afternoon.
not too bad at first glance...

till you look closer and see the marker scribbles and the embedded dirt

Monday we pulled off all the old upholstery, then cut the new pieces and started attaching them to the chair. After I left to pick up the Little Miss, A cut bias strips and sewed the welting so it would be ready for Tuesday.
a naked chair

partially re-upholstered

On Tuesday I finished cutting the pieces we needed and handed them off to A, who sewed welting to them, sewed the back cushion, and hemmed the skirt. She handed the pieces back to me and I stapled them to the chair.

missing the seat cushion


blurry photo of the back- last piece that needed to be stapled on

Wednesday I brought the tack strips that I forgot to bring Tuesday and used them to put the back on the chair. Then I finished attaching the skirt, which had to wait till the back was on. While I did that, A finished the seat cushion cover.
back off

back on

and it's all finished and looking so much better!

A's happy with the results :)


Working together really sped up the whole process. We both worked on dismantling the chair, but split the tasks after that- A sewed and I re-assembled. It saved time, kept us both busy, and we finished much quicker than if just one of us had been working on it. Yay for teamwork!

1 comment:

  1. Well done! If I ever decide to venture into this type of project I'm flying you out here to help me with it! :)

    ReplyDelete