Thursday, August 1, 2013

Patience

another sleeping-in-the-backseat photo of LMS. 
slightly less uncomfortable-looking than the last photo
she's wearing her new shoes in these photos.

I've been meaning to teach Little Miss Sunshine how to tie her shoes for awhile now. But honestly, it was just easier to buy shoes that didn't need to be tied :)

Shortly before we left for our road trip we bought LMS some new running shoes- she'd outgrown her old ones.

The second or third day of our road trip, as we sat in the truck, listening to a recorded book and trying not to zone out too badly, we heard LMS say "Guess what?! I just tied my shoes!"

Sure enough, she'd been sitting in the back seat, bored enough to figure out for herself how to tie her shoes.

Then, just to make sure she knew how to do it, she untied them and re-tied them several more times. Since then she has also tied our shoes for us on more than one occasion.

Good timing, since it's getting a lot harder for me to tie my running shoes :)

One more instance where letting LMS learn something at her own pace, in her own way, has paid off. Less frustration for all of us, and a huge sense of accomplishment for her. Win- win.

1 comment:

  1. This is how I had to approach potty training with OP. My "my way or the highway" approach was doing nothing but cause frustration and resentment. As soon as I backed off and let him do it his way, he was out of diapers in about 2 days. It's a frustrating, but liberating!, lesson to learn, for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete