Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Nature Class

At the beginning of the month, LMS participated in a 3 week nature class on habitats. It was very affordably priced, but 35-45 minutes away, on the other side of town. Since it was only a 3 week class, I figured we'd see how it worked out. 

Since I'm allergic to so much in the great outdoors these days, I can't take her out in the woods, so I welcomed the opportunity for someone else to do so :)

The first day, I took this picture of her returning to the camp after trekking around in the woods. Note the binoculars, stick (she can't go for a walk without having a stick), and backpack. Too cute! When she saw me, she said, "Aww, is it time to go already?" When I asked if she had fun, she responded that she had "a lot and a lot and a lot of fun".


There were several other kids in the class that she knows from our various other activities. Here she's with one of her friends, all ready to go exploring.


When I went to pick her up after the second class, I could tell that LMS had something on her head, but I wasn't sure what it was. 



She made a crown out of weeds. No idea why she did that, but the smile tells me she had fun :)
One of the instructors told me she managed to find the one mud puddle in the middle of a field and fall in. Her lower half was quite muddy. 


The third class they headed to a creek to discover what critters they could find.
Here, the kids are setting out on their expedition.



LMS was again all smiles at the end of the class.


Apparently she took it to heart when I told her the week before that the dirtier you get, the more fun you have :)


And she got to hold a cicada, too.


Will we come here for more nature classes? Probably. 

There's another nature school that I want her to take classes from in the fall. In the fall they meet in town, but in the spring they meet about 45 minutes or so away from us. My thought is that we'll do classes there in the fall, and at this school in the spring (it's a little closer). We'll have to see how things actually work out, but it's nice to have options.


1 comment:

  1. So fun! I'm not sure if there's anything like that around here, but I'm definitely going to check around!

    ReplyDelete