Friday, April 19, 2013

My Annual Allergic Reaction to Spring

Every spring since we've moved here (this is our fourth spring), I've broken out with icky, itchy rashes. I call them poison ivy, and I know at least some of them have been caused by poison ivy, but I'm fairly certain some are caused by a local tree pollen. (I came up negative on all my allergy tests, so they weren't any help in figuring out what the culprit is.)

This spring, I'm now at 4 for 4. Or is that 0 for 4? I guess it depends on your perspective.

In any case, it's happened already: I've had my first itchy rash of the year. I've been dreading it since I knew I wouldn't be able to take prednisone like I have in the past. Thankfully, it's been milder than in the past.

Instead of masses of itching, oozing bumps that spread like wild fire, my legs have just been covered in itchy hives. No oozing and spreading, which is the worst part of it, so I'm not complaining. Too much :)

I have two theories as to why it's been milder this time:
  1. I got hit by a different allergen than usual, one that's not as problematic for me.
  2. Doing GAPS has improved the state of my autoimmune system enough that I'm not reacting as violently (GAPS is the reason I'm pregnant, after all).
Either one is possible, so I'm curious to see how my next round goes. It never stops at just one round...

****

In other news, I'm feeling "squadgy" these days. Isn't that a great word? I feel like it's very descriptive.

I haven't gained any weight yet, but I'm starting to look like I have. Since I have a short torso the baby is already pushing things up and out of the way, and there's really only one place for things to go: my upper abdomen. Hence the reason I've been feeling squadgy.

No comments:

Post a Comment