Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Vindication

Before we moved, I tried to keep LMS on a gluten free diet, but I didn’t push it too hard. Daddy Daughter dates were at Pizza Hut, crackers and cookies were always available at Grandma and Papa’s, and so on.


After we moved, I tried a little harder, but I didn’t stress too much if she ate something with gluten. When Mr M headed out on a business trip, I decided to do it right and have her go completely gluten free.

Along the way, I wondered whether I should pursue the issue.

Was I being super-paranoid? Was I projecting my issues onto her?

Then I’d remind myself why I thought it was worth focusing on: she’s been a lot crankier and a lot more prone to meltdowns the last two years, and in the last 6 months or so she’s had intestinal “issues”: nasty, stinky, sticky poop that she can’t control, despite the fact that she’s been potty trained since she was 2.

She was completely gluten free for two weeks, and what a difference. She was happier, calmer (significantly fewer meltdowns) and had normal bowel movements in the toilet.

After two weeks of being gluten free, she ate some crackers in Primary on Sunday.

Monday the uncontrolled nasty, stinky, sticky poop in the underpants returned.

I feel vindicated.

I didn’t feel well for a number of years, and I know I tended to be cranky. I think that’s why LMS has been cranky- she hasn’t been feeling well, but didn’t know how to verbalize it.

Now we’re working on asking if proffered food has gluten in it. ‘Does this have gluten in it?’ If the answer is yes, then ‘No, thank you’. And I’m trying to make sure I have gluten free snacks available at home and wherever we go, so she doesn’t feel deprived.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I try not to project things on OP, too, but sometimes it's hard not to do. I hate eggs, but I make them for him because I don't want him to hate them just because I do--I know, not quite the same! But now with the diabetes, I find myself becoming more of a food nazi than I was before! :) It's our job to find out what works for our kids and what works for our families, so if this works for you, who cares what anyone else thinks! :)

    ReplyDelete