Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My own personal gym...

now consists of a treadmill, bike trainer, and assorted weights and resistance bands. Now I just need to get in the habit of using it all...

Sunday I found a treadmill for $50 on craigslist, so I spent yesterday morning driving to get it. It was about an hour and twenty minutes each way, but when combined with the $50, it was still way less than most treadmills go for. I would love to be able to spend $1000 on a treadmill, but our budget doesn't extend that far. It's a few years old, but not completely low tech, and I actually ended up only paying $40 for it: I had three twenties and no tens, and the girl selling the treadmill didn't have change, so she let me have it for $40- an even better deal!

On the way home, I stopped by the post office to pick up some packages that had come, and one of them was the indoor trainer for my bike that I bought on ebay.

In the process of manhandling the heavy treadmill into the house, I managed to drop it on my big toe and tear up my toenail. I didn't realize how bad, till I looked down and saw the toe of my shoe turning red from blood... never a good sign. Hopefully it'll be healed before the marathon, which is in less than two weeks.

Between the treadmill and the bike trainer I am now equipped to exercise even if the weather continues to be nasty like it has been lately. Definitely a good thing, since I haven't done much of anything the last two weeks, and I now have less than two weeks till the marathon. On the one hand, my shins have stopped hurting and my feet aren't bothering me, but on the other hand, I don't have the mileage in that I really should. At this point, I just need to make sure that I'm comfortable in what I'll be wearing, and make sure I don't try to do too much and aggravate my various problems right before the race.

This evening I set up the trainer and biked for twenty minutes. It does take a little getting used to, but I can change gears to make it harder or easier, so I think I'll be able to get a pretty good workout with it. It's not as interesting as being outside, so I guess I'll be watching a lot of movies while on the treadmill and bike, but at least I'll be getting my exercise.

I don't think I have anything planned for tomorrow, so I'll exercise, then go sort all our stuff in the storage container, so I can get that out of the way. Then I need to get back to my sewing. I've been neglecting it, and I really want to get those quilts taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment