Saturday, September 13, 2008

Schizophrenic weather

Yesterday morning I rode my bike for an hour. It would appear I got the bike trainer and treadmill just in time: the weather has been just nasty lately. Yesterday was cold and rainy, and while today was actually fairly warm, sunny, and nice, I doubt it will last. At least I can keep exercising no matter how nasty it gets. I am looking forward to some snow, though: I have some skis that attach to our bike trailer, and I can tow it behind me with a harness that attaches to my waist, and I can either cross country ski or snow shoe while pulling the trailer. It's been way too long since I last cross country skied, and I haven't yet had a chance to go snowshoeing, though I'm looking forward to it.

This morning I walked 5 miles on the treadmill, the first little while with Little Miss Sunshine. She insisted on 'nunning' with mommy, and she lasted about 13 minutes before deciding she'd had enough. After that she was content to sit on the floor and play with her legos.

It's good to be exercising regularly again, especially biking. I didn't think it had been that long, but apparently it's been long enough to lose my bum calluses. Riding my bike is painful again, darn it! Hopefully it won't take too long to get the calluses back.

This morning I tried out what I'll be wearing during the marathon: toe socks, running skirt with longer shorts underneath, fuel belt around my waist. The toe socks are supposed to eliminate friction between toes. I didn't notice any problems, but I only did five miles, so it's kind of hard to tell for sure. I'll wear them a few more times and decide for sure whether or not to wear them during the race. The shorts and skirt are great: no further chafing problems. I do need to adjust the fuel belt a bit. I guess I bought it too large, so I'm going to have to put in some seams to take in the extra length. It's got room for two small water bottles and my packages of shot blox. I can also attach my ipod to the belt. I didn't listen to it during the half marathon, and I don't usually listen to it while out walking or running, but that's because I have to be aware of cars and all my other surroundings. Six hours is a long time without any diversion, so while I may not listen to it while I'm running the 14 miles down the canyon, I'm quite certain I'll have it on during the last 12 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment