Tuesday, June 11, 2013

GAPS and My Pregnancy

So, doing full GAPS while pregnant is ok, but doing GAPS Intro (what we did before Christmas) is not, as it can be too low carb.

The problem is that the foods you can introduce once you're on full GAPS still don't agree with me.
 * Nuts and coconut- nope, I feel horrible when I eat them (tiny amounts are ok, but not in sufficient quantities to help me out).
 * Eggs- nope, my throat swells up a bit (just enough to be uncomfortable, not enough to send me to the hospital).
 * Dairy- double nope, since it makes my stomach hurt and triggers my eczema.
 * White beans- nope, caused gas and other problems last time I tried to eat them.

So that leaves me eating lots and lots of winter squash in an effort to get my carb intake up where it should be. But that's not actually happening since squash makes me want to gag right now.

I'm not nauseous anymore- now the problem is more just a lack of appetite. I haven't been able to determine if it's pregnancy related or food fatigue related. Probably a bit of both.

So, if we're not doing GAPS right now, what am I doing about food?

My body needs GAPS intro-legal foods still, but it also needs more carbs. So I'm having to supplement with other things, foods that aren't GAPS legal. Right now I'm on a rotation of about a week on each: Snickers and Butterfingers candy bars (till the eczema from the dairy in the chocolate gets too bad), gluten free cereals and breads (till the bloating and mental fog gets to be too much), and potatoes (till the mental fog and food coma in the mornings gets to be too much).

Switching them out helps relieve symptoms so I can keep going, though it's definitely not the healthiest way to be eating. Even with all the problems, I still feel better than I did before I started eating this way. Low carbing it (even though it was unintentional) left me with zero energy and motivation to get anything done. Now at least I'm able to get stuff done as long as I time my eating right- the gluten free grain products interfere the most with my ability to get things done.

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I really want to be eating healthier, but I can't see the way there, given all my problems. Hopefully pregnancy brain is making me miss something. Anyone have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment