Thursday, November 3, 2016

DIY Hermione Costume


Sunshine's costume was pretty easy to put together. The only thing I sewed was the robe. The rest was purchased or re-purposed.


I usually forget to take back shots, but I actually remembered this year. Here's the back of Sunshine and River's robes. The hoods are functional, but the weather was too nice for them :)


I ordered Gryffindor patches in plenty of time, but they disappeared in the mail, so I had to order another set. They didn't arrive until after we took these pictures, so I did a second round of pictures the afternoon of our ward Halloween activity, this time with the patches on.



The costume pieces:
Messy Hair: the first time I put some spray gel in her hair and ratted it. The second time I put spray gel in her hair and braided it the morning of the ward activity. Just before we left, I unbraided it and ratted it in a few spots. The braids did a much more satisfactory job of giving her messy, poofy hair.

Wand: There's lots of tutorials out there on how to make wands. I used chopsticks, hot glue, and craft paint. I'll talk more about how I made the accessories in another post.

Robe: I used a black flat sheet and a dark red flat sheet to make River and Sunshine's robes. I think they were full size sheets? They were just big enough for the two robes. They're fully lined and are pretty much like any other robe/dress I've made over the years (Jawa, Princess ButtercupPrincess Leia, etc). I sewed a fabric knot at the chest to close the robes and hand sewed a wand pocket to the lining. I meant to do it before I attached the lining to the outer robe, but forgot, so had to do it by hand. The patches I ended up with were iron on, so no sewing there. Patches can be found on eBay and Amazon.
I think the wand pocket is a stroke of genius- it keeps them from getting lost, but the kiddos can pull them out at a moment's notice.

Black Shoes: black mary janes would have been more screen accurate, but Sunshine just wore black shoes she had.

Gray Knee Socks: gray knee socks we picked up for a couple bucks at Target.

Gray Pleated Skirt: purchased from Crazy 8, I think. It's just a gray uniform skirt that looked cute enough to be worn other places than a school.

Gray Sweater Vest: purchased from Children's Place, I think. It's also a school uniform piece.

Gryffindor Tie: I repurposed the boys' maroon ties from last Christmas. I found some thin yellow duct tape at wally world and made stripes on the ties with it. I haven't taken the tape off yet, so I'm not sure if I've permanently ruined them. We may just keep the tape on and keep them as Gryffindor ties. I'll post more details in the accessories post.

White Blouse: purchased from Crazy 8 or Children's place. It's a school uniform blouse, but it has pleats on the front so it just looks like a cute white blouse.


I'm super happy with how the costume came together, and at least the robe will fit for several years, so I see it getting a lot of use. The blouse and skirt are now in her closet and the vest will be set aside for River to wear when he's big enough.

Easy DIY Harry Potter-themed Costumes
DIY Harry Potter costume
DIY Hermione costume
DIY Hagrid costume
DIY Mandrake costume
DIY Prof. Sprout costume
Easy Accessories for Harry Potter-themed Costumes

No comments:

Post a Comment