Friday, October 26, 2012

Princess Buttercup Halloween Costume


A few months ago the Little Miss decided she wanted to be Princess Buttercup for Halloween. I figured she meant the wedding dress
but she meant the red riding dress

Ok, not a problem- the red dress would be easier and a lot less fiddly than all the trim on the wedding dress.
I started by using the pattern I made for her Princess Leia dress last year, but I added a lot to the sleeves to allow for the very full sleeves.  I also added a bit on the sides and to the length to bring the pattern up a size.

After cutting it out though, I realized the bodice needed to be four separate pieces, not one, so I modified my pattern and fiddled with it a bit before it finally fit LMS right. I lined the bodice (but not the skirt) by doubling the fabric, but I don't think it was necessary, and I think the seams would lay a little flatter without the extra bulk. This would really depend on the fabric used, though. I used a polyester fabric with a really nice drape. It seems pretty similar to the fabric I used for the Princess Leia dress- it had a nice drape, also.

After getting the bodice sewn together how I wanted it, I sewed in the sleeves, then did all those gathers in the cuffs. The costuming site I consulted called it cramming, and while I don't know if I used the proper technique, I can say that I definitely crammed a lot of gathers into a tiny cuff.
Has anyone else noticed how hard it is to photograph the color red? 
I ended up graying the photos to make it easier to see the details.

After getting the sleeves just right I pinned the skirt pieces on, inserting pleats in the front and back for fullness. Then it was just a matter of sewing the bodice to the skirt, and then sewing the the side seams starting at the cuffs and ending at the bottom of the skirt.

The finishing touches were the hem and the grommets in the cuffs- I used my Crop-o-dile for the grommets and it was super easy.


Buttercup also wears a belt and a hairnet thingy, so of course I needed to make them too. I used some gold trim, some lightweight fusible web, some ribbon, and a small piece of velcro for the belt. 

I ironed the trim to the ribbon, then sewed around the circles to make sure it stayed on. I then cut the belt to fit around LMS's waist and sewed some velcro to the ends. I sewed the leftover pieces so they'd hang down on the sides, just like in the movie.

And since the Little Miss now has short hair, I made a wig for her to wear. I used one of the sleeves from the white t-shirt I used for the candy corn ruffle skirt as the base, and made it the same way I made the Rapunzel wig I ended up not wearing in the Disney Half Marathon. I hot glued some bead trim in a grid pattern, then glued it to the wig along with some trim around the outer edge of the thingy (not quite a crown, is it a headdress, a fancy hair net?).



I also pulled the hair back in a knot, like Princess Buttercup's.

We had our ward trunk or treat last night, so we took most of these photos before the activity. It wasn't till I started writing this post at 10:30 pm that I realized I forgot all about the belt, and LMS went around all night without it. 

Ooops. 

So we had to do another round of photos this morning so we could get the full effect. I love how it turned out!





2 comments:

  1. Did people know who she was? Great job btw - how do you get all these ideas?

    ReplyDelete