Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Our Halloween Costumes

I was editing the Halloween costume pics when I realized I didn't get a picture of the back of LMS' costume. Since I'm particularly pleased with how it turned out, I had to wait for a sunny day and reshoot the costume pics. And then I had to wait till I had some spare time to edit the photos before adding them to the post. So, a week and a half after Halloween, here's my costume post :)


Little Miss Sunshine dressed as Princess Leia. She wanted to be a princess again, and I managed to direct her in a direction other than the Disney variety :) She's seen the original three movies, so she knows who Princess Leia is and was ok with being her instead of Belle (I sooo did not have time to sew Belle's yellow ball gown this year).

I was Upper GI and Mr M was Lower GI- a fun idea I found online that worked out well- all we had to do was dig out an old uniform and make name tags.

 You can't see my name tag, so here's the tags we pinned to our shirts.
I used my silhouette to cut the black cardstock for the back and the cream vinyl to go on top.


I followed ideas found here and here and used pictures from here. I drew an outline around LMS (with her laying on some newsprint) and used that as the pattern for the dress. I used a synthetic fabric (nylon or polyester something, I don't remember for sure) that has a really nice drape to it. I cut two of everything so the dress had a self lining. A rectangle formed the hood and was attached to the neckline with pleats. I put a zipper in the back and used some stiff interfacing to help the collar keep its shape. I then sewed some silver lame on some white canvas to make the belt, which also has velcro on the ends to close it.

I bought a skein of yarn and a costume wig and played with some ideas for the cinnamon buns. The wig didn't work because it didn't have a center part in the back and because I couldn't touch the nasty fake hair for longer than 5 seconds without being completely icked out. Have you ever touched the fake hair in a cheap wig? Yech! Anyway, I carefully cut the hair off the wig base and then sewed yarn to it with a center seam for the part. Using the wig base definitely made the whole thing so much easier. I then gathered the yarn and twisted it into cinnamon buns and sewed them in place with some yarn. It's not perfect, but it's good enough and definitely recognizable for what it is :)
  I really like how the hood turned out :)

  
  
Isn't she cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment