Tuesday, November 15, 2011

American Girl Dolls



I'm not sure how this happened, but somehow I ended up on the mailing list for American Girl catalogs. Although I'd rather my name be on it than Little Miss Sunshine's- I'd be really concerned if it was in her name.

Anyway, have you flipped through an AG catalog lately? I remember reading a few of the first couple books that came out, and I knew there was dolls to go with them (there was only two or three dolls at that point), and you could buy an extra outfit or two and a bed for them, but that was about it.

Fast forward 20 years, and things have gotten insane! I don't know how many dolls there are (at least a dozen?), and they each have books to go with them, elaborate outfits and accessories, dining sets, bedroom sets, matching outfits for dolls and their owners, the list goes on and on.

Flipping through the first catalog I felt a bit of nostalgia and "oh, it'd be cool to get one of these for LMS eventually" until I looked at the prices. Holy cow! $100 just for the doll??? Yeah, that's not going to happen. Guess I'm going to have to make sure she doesn't see the catalog because that's a super-expensive road to go down.

I then started wondering about the books- did the books come first, or the dolls? It's been about 20 years since I last read one, so I don't remember the quality of the writing. I imagine they're fairly historically accurate or someone would have complained by now.

I'm going to have to do some research into them to see if it's worth the fuss to check the books out of the library and forestall any requests for the dolls (and their plethora of accessories).

Has anyone read any of the books more recently than I have? What were your thoughts on them?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any of the books. I think paying that much for a doll is ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete